The DSS was formed on June 5, 1986, after the dissolution of the defunct organization, National Security Organization. The Department of State Security remains one of the successor organizations of the NSO which also includes the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) and the National Intelligence Agency (NIA).
The aim of this article is to enable you to apply successfully without finding it difficult to submit your application to the Department of State Security, DSS recruitment portal.
What Are the Functions of the Nigerian DSS?
Like every other government agency in Nigeria, the Department of State Security functions have legal backings. In light of this, the DSS functions as stated in the 1986 National Security Agencies Act are;
- To prevent, detect, and act against any crime against the internal security of Nigeria.
- To protect and preserve all non-military classified matters concerning the internal security of Nigeria.
- To attend to other responsibilities such as matters affecting internal security within Nigeria as the National Assembly or the President, as the case may be, may deem necessary.
- To prevent and detect all crimes of a military nature against the security of Nigeria.
- Protection and preservation of all military classified matters concerning the security of Nigeria, both within and outside Nigeria;
- To attend to other such responsibilities affecting defence intelligence of a military both within and outside Nigeria, as the President or the Chief of Defence Staff deem necessary.
Requirements for Nigerian DSS Recruitment
The Department of State Security invites qualified candidates who possess the requirements to apply for the Department of State Service recruitment 2020. So, if you wanna serve your country through the Department of State Security, feel free to go through the requirements indicated below.
- All Candidates should be inherent citizens of Nigeria who are either Nigerians by birth or are born to Nigerian parents.
- Male applicants should be at least 1.7m tall
- Female applicants should be at least 1.64m tall
- The expanded chest measurement of the candidate must be at least 0.87 meters
- The applicants should be cleared by a Government Medical Officer to be free of any life-threatening illnesses;
- The applicants must be mentally fit
- The applicants should be physically fit for service;
- Applicants who have any of the following physical disorders should not bother applying:
- Speaking/communication disabilities;
- Pregnant women;
- Major orthopedic operations in the past;
- Flat Foot;
- All intended applicants must possess a clean criminal record and should in no way be affiliated to arrests, drugs, crimes, vandalization among others.
- Candidates who exceed 30 years of age shouldn’t bother applying for DSS Nigeria.
Nigerian DSS Recruitment 2020 Educational Requirements
Below are the educational requirements for DSS recruitment. Please do not ignore this part of this post because you may feel it is not important; it is pretty important and its importance cannot be overemphasized.
Please if you know that you do not possess these educational requirements, do not bother applying as it is a backbone for selection in this year’s recruitment exercise.
Note that the least qualification for DSS recruitment is a Bachelors Degree with a Second Class Upper Division CGP. Also, if you do not have a Bachelor’s degree in the below-listed courses, you can provide a National Certificate of Education/National Diploma from a recognized institution.
What is the Primary Role of the Nigerian DSS?
The primary rile of the Department of State Security is formed from its mission statement which is “to protect and defend the Federal Republic of Nigeria against domestic threats, to uphold and enforce the criminal laws of Nigeria, and to provide leadership and criminal justice services to federal and state law-enforcement organs.”